Wednesday 8 February 2012

Tom NZ experience

My experience with food in New Zealand so far has been a pretty mixed bag, i have worked in an Italian (for about two weeks) a Mexican a burger joint, and now a kiwi cafe, the Mexican place was run by Americans who were of course aiming for it to me a chain restaurant so as far as getting the experience i would have liked it wasn't to great but you could not fault the food, I left around 3 months ago to come to the south island and i have been craving a Mexicali burrito ever since. They accommodated for the New Zealanders wimpy pallets but also had salsas that were pretty hot and most of all bloody tasty.

I find quite annoying that any hot food you order in New Zealand is lathered in an incredibly sweet relish of some kind or a sweetened beetroot I am not saying they are bad relishes but not with everything please. New Zealand definitely has its English influences with the fish and chips,pies and pubs but they also have a huge Asian community of which the food we used to sample every now and again up in Auckland, it was all a bit hit and miss how ever some meals but blow you away and others would just be eaten so you didn't feel like you'd wasted your money, i went to a sushi place called the sushi factory right in the center of Auckland with a work party, some other dishes were quite nice but i always find it a little bit odd when chicken and sushi are mixed and the 8 inch cockroach that crawled over my food when i walked out the door didn't settle my stomach too much. I think I need a little direction on where to go in New Zealand for a great Asian meal because i'm sure there are some great places hiding away.

The food that New Zealand excel at are of course sea food and lamb because being surrounded my water  and having something stupid like 60 million sheep  the have plenty of resources to get them right, my favourite meal in New Zealand so far has been fish and chips made with elephant fish which happens to be a really cheap cut of fish and is so thick and meaty it just tastes great.
nom nom
tom

No comments:

Post a Comment